Monday, April 22, 2013

Saturday Shoot - Long Take

When going into Kenan to shoot on the 23rd, Wills and Scott and I unfortunately didn't have a perfectly planned out take to shoot.  What we did have were various props, and decided to make use of a frisbee  (in the style of Captain America's shield) that Wills brought.  We thought that the use of a frisbee would allow two characters to interact without much dialogue, and could be the focus of attention for the film.  Plus Wills and I were both wearing Captain America shirts, so it was obviously meant to be that we would use the frisbee.

We attempted to follow the time-allotting sheet the best we could, but some of each group's shooting time was cut into due to how long it took to load the cameras in the blackbox.  We ended up shooting our film later than we anticipated, but finished before the next group needed our camera.  After our film had been loaded we fully planned out the story and blocking, and began rehearsing.

Our story was as follows:  Wills and I walk up to a mysterious round object laying on the ground: a frisbee.  We pick it up and discover that we can toss the object to one another, and it will seemingly hover in the air as it drifts between us!  This is the most important discovery in the history of the world, we say as we toss it back and forth.  Then, from out of nowhere, a man runs between us and continues down the sidewalk-- obviously he had just committed a heinous crime, such as robbing a bank or eating a toaster strudel without the icing.  Wills and I look at each other and our mental link forms the perfect plan with which to catch the criminal.  Wills pulls the frisbee back and throws it with all his might toward the criminal.  The frisbee soars through the air with the majesty of an eagle, and lands at the criminal's feet.  The criminal picks it up, waves at Wills and I as if to say "Thanks, easiest theft ever!" and he runs away.  Wills and I, having lost our frisbee, are forlorn.  END.

After rehearsing six or seven times, with Matt acting as the criminal, we were ready to shoot.  Not everything went perfectly-- the frisbee didn't land very close to Matt, and it was kind of hard to follow the frisbee through the air, but that's to be expected.  I can't recall filming any video that went exactly to plan, and given the amount of time that we had, I think it turned out well!  I'm looking forward to screening it and seeing if the visuals allow one to follow the plot.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent post and wonderful blog, I really like this type of interesting articles


    http://www.apparelnbags.com/next-level/index.htm

    ReplyDelete